About Me

My photo
I was raised in California, where my family ranched along with my parents raising us 5 kids, sometimes a few extra with them involved in foster care. I remember as a little girl how I loved watching my Dad ride...especially the gritty horses. He has a special way with horses. I knew from a kid that I wanted to marry a Cowboy...so I did. Although I haven't been a Wyoming Wife for long, my husband and I live an exciting life together. Not only are we partners but were the best of friends. These are going to be stories which include my emotions (which as a female they seem to be on the fritz sometimes!), days gone bad, and days that ended absolutely perfect. All in all...this is just a journal of my crazy, beautiful life as a Wyoming Wife.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Beginning

As most of you know when I married a cowboy I also married a houndsman with a pack of 5 lion dogs. Growing up I was raised with a good Blue Heeler Jake. I honestly didn’t have the slightest clue what these “hounds” were for. So me being the curious soul I am, asked. Kody looked at me slightly dumbfounded and said, “ they’re for lions.” Yeah let me tell you, I felt like the stereotyped “California girl”.
Kody is leaving hours before the sun came up to go lion hunting…and I was stuck in beauty school (sigh). As soon as I was done with school I didn’t miss a lion hunt! I grew a different kind of love for the dogs, I know they are work dogs but they are my buddies and fortunately nothing terrible has happened to any of them. As Kody and I grew closer, I grew closer to the dogs. Watching them keep a lion in a tree is amazing. It is absolutely breathtaking how talented these dogs are.
There has been tough hunts, nights I got emotional worrying about having to keep the dogs out and days I get so mad I could cuss. Very rarely does the dog ever fail you, if anything we fail the dogs. With the pack of hounds I’ve learned to trust their instinct, follow them (they are the ones with the good nose), and they will lead you straight to your trophy in a tree. So Kody’s 5 dogs turned in to our dogs and 5 dogs turned into 9 dogs.
Lion Hunting has taken me deep into Canyons where people have never roamed, over hills where buffalo once were, places where Billy the Kid hid out, I’ve ridden where the Arapahos dried their hides, and where old sheep herders became drunken of their lost love. If you want to be filled with rich history live a life so exciting that there is always a story you can tell.

 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment