About Me

My photo
I was raised in California, where my family ranched along with my parents raising us 5 kids, sometimes a few extra with them involved in foster care. I remember as a little girl how I loved watching my Dad ride...especially the gritty horses. He has a special way with horses. I knew from a kid that I wanted to marry a Cowboy...so I did. Although I haven't been a Wyoming Wife for long, my husband and I live an exciting life together. Not only are we partners but were the best of friends. These are going to be stories which include my emotions (which as a female they seem to be on the fritz sometimes!), days gone bad, and days that ended absolutely perfect. All in all...this is just a journal of my crazy, beautiful life as a Wyoming Wife.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Cowboy Romance

We had been dating for a year and a couple months…things were getting serious between Kody and I. We both knew that. Kody being a cowboy, he definitely carries “Cowboy Romance” meaning its romantic for him to drive up to a gate, and he gets out and opens it. Also romance to him is asking me to sit in the middle on our way to move cows. I live for this “Cowboy Romance”. He is my Wildflower Pickin’ Cowboy.
It was early September 2009, we were out for a drive on the ranch. We spotted this buck deer that got my heart racing. I said, “ That one is mine!”
Time drifted and September turned into October. We hadn’t seen the deer since I put a bounty over its head. But with Kody’s skills as a hunter, this deer didn’t have much of a chance. There was a fresh skiff of snow, a matter of fact it was our first snow of the year. We got up before daylight, headed north and stopped at our usual glassing spots. The deer wasn’t where we were looking. We drove to another spot to glass a big rock pile.
Boy, can a smart old Mule deer blend in with any type of landscape it makes its bed in. I will give Kody the credit for this, he spotted him through his binoculars. It took me a minute to focus…I had just woken up. That was the deer, he looked so perfect. He had bed down in the rock pile all night, with a skiff of snow on his antlers. This is a dream buck, not a monster. He was a typical 5x5. About 27 inches wide. This was going to be the biggest deer I had ever taken. I jacked a round into my Browning 270SM, its my little sharp shooter! Squeezed the trigger and down went the deer.
I couldn’t explain my excitement. We hiked down to my trophy. I said my usual prayer, “ Lord, thank you for the life this deer gave and the life it gave up. Thank you for the mouths it will be feeding.” I always say a prayer after I hunt. Kody gives me a big hug, tells me good shot…and oddly keeps on hugging me. I just wanted to touch those untouched antlers.
Kody gets down, and says, “ Jordan, will you marry me?”
Suddenly I am a blubbering girl, I have Kody that just asked me to marry him and this buck deer that I just dropped. It was a lot of emotions. I told him yes, I made every phone call in the world after I got my deer prepared too drag out. That day was so special, I got my man and my buck.
Cowboy romance is special, its not cliché. Its not long walks on the beach after a candle light dinner. Romance is our husbands picking us wildflowers, starting our pickup in the morning, feeding our horse, and sometimes just a simple kiss on the forehead after you got bucked off. Kody makes everyday special whether its from working our horses or hunting. Cowboy Romance is all around us, sometimes we just have to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment