About Me

My photo
I was raised in California, where my family ranched along with my parents raising us 5 kids, sometimes a few extra with them involved in foster care. I remember as a little girl how I loved watching my Dad ride...especially the gritty horses. He has a special way with horses. I knew from a kid that I wanted to marry a Cowboy...so I did. Although I haven't been a Wyoming Wife for long, my husband and I live an exciting life together. Not only are we partners but were the best of friends. These are going to be stories which include my emotions (which as a female they seem to be on the fritz sometimes!), days gone bad, and days that ended absolutely perfect. All in all...this is just a journal of my crazy, beautiful life as a Wyoming Wife.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Kicked Off Your Ride

Being married to a cowboy a houndsman and an outfitter all in one…I now I’m a lucky girl. It never fails I’m always riding the broke horse on our hunts, Kody is always riding horses that “Need some Miles”. Lucky for me, its because I’m to much of a pansy to ride anything that you have to man handle…I’m sure I could get the job done, I just say I’m blessed to ride finished horses. I take pride in the animals I ride, due to the fact that Dad broke them.
It never fails, we take a lot of hunters- people that don’t ride a whole lot, so I get kicked off my horse and thrown on someone else’s. Keep in mind they are very nice horses, but they aren’t mine. I’m just now getting used to the rhythm of “Hobo” the brown horse I have now taken over, due to the heart-wrenching passing of my Studly Yellow horse “Sonny” …he wasn’t a stud when I rode him…but he was a looker. Anyways…The hunter usually rides my horse. This is just something that I’ve learned having to ride different horses. I’m never 100% comfortable on riding them until after the first 20 miles.
The last hunt we went on, where we had to do a horse swap I rode a good horse. He was a black 5 year old. I was nervous, but that’s just me being a woman. When I’m riding a new horse, I always judge the horse by the bit he carries in his mouth. I think if Kody put me on something with a twisted wire snaffle, I would be in for a long day. I prefer, If I’m riding something new that they are capable of riding in a finished bit. In my mind, I think if it’s a finished bit, I should be safer.
It’s amazing how the female mind works, I know when a horse has a finished bit he is going to handle a heck of a lot better, because he has been worked with enough to upgrade from a snaffle, hackamore…etc.
This is just my little piece of information to other women who get kicked of their pony, because their husbands know they are more strong minded and capable of doing more than what they think.

No comments:

Post a Comment